Saturday, March 22, 2008

Preemie Knitting

For the last few months I have been having fun knitting preemie hats for the Lone Star From the Heart charity project. I experimented with several yarns and decided that Caron Simply Soft is one of the best to use and it is easily available. The hats need to be washable and don't have to last forever since they are out grown quickly. I tried several patterns and played with adapting others but for a quick, easy no-thought one I used my own K1P1 hat pattern.



K1P1 Baby Hats

Yarn: Sport weight baby yarn or lightweight worsted

Needles: US 4-6 double points Whatever feels right for the yarn-not too stiff a fabric

Size: 1-3 lbs (3-5 lbs, 6-8 lbs)

Cast on 48 (56, 64) stitches

Divide stitches on three needles. Join in the round, being careful not to twist.

Knit 1, Purl 1 until hat measures 3 1/2" (4", 4 1/2") from the cast on edge.

Knit 2 together for one round.
Knit around.
Knit 2 together for one round.
Knit around.
Knit 2 together for one round.
Knit.

Cut yarn 6" long and pull through remaining stitches. Pull tail to the inside and weave in all ends.
Copyright – Patricia J Reece March 17, 2008 You are welcome to use this pattern for personal use, charity and for sale. It would be fun to see some of your creations using this pattern.

3 comments:

Brenda said...

oh man I need to get some of these done...might have to be my project at Wimberly

Norma said...

This is a great looking pattern. I look forward to making some of these.

RoamingKnitter said...

Thanks, Norma. I have fun with it. Some of the preemies' mothers say they sure like brighter colors for the babies.