Sunday, July 27, 2008

100 Years of Women's Fashions

In Nov and Dec of 2007 The Ellen Noel Art Museum, Odessa TX presented a display of 100 Year of Women's Fashions with clothes and accessories from the collection of Steven Porterfield, owner of The Cat's Meow, an antique store in Midland TX. Steven is an excellent repair artist who maintains all the articles in supurb condition. The display was organized with several outfits from each decade beginning in the 1860's. There was one handknitted item that caught my eye, a child's sock was pinned to the hem of a girl's dress.


Steven has been asked to be an appraiser on a PBS Antiques Roadshow this summer. If the items he appraises are interesting enough his segment will show sometime in the fall.

After viewing the exhibit of old clothing, Mother and I pulled some of Grandmother's clothes out of the cedar chest. Two of her party dresses from the 1915-1930 times are shown below. Yes there are two tiny fox heads (fake) on the brown dress.


The real jewel of our keepsakes was Grandmother's wedding dress from Oct 1914.

4 comments:

Mortaine said...

Lovely pics!

Renna said...

How fascinating! I love looking at vintage clothing.

Aunt Kathy said...

Wow what lovely heirlooms, that wedding dress is beautiful and in such great shape too

Becky said...

I attended a fashion show in VA last year that depicted the history of fashion beginning with Cleopatra. Of course her dress wasn't authentic, but there were a hundred years of actual dresses---it was so much fun. Some I wish I could have worn, and some I'm glad I didn't.