Friday, January 9, 2009

Yarn and a Pattern

Do you remember those three sweaters I bought at the Ropa Usada? Well, I made yarn out of them! Disassembled, unraveled and rolled into balls of yarn. I still need to wind them into hanks, soak them in soapy water, rinse, hang to dry then roll into center-pull balls. With the winds blowing 20-40 mph that isn't going to happen any time soon! In the meantime the balls of yarn are living in my Secret Santa gift bags.

Just for fun I knit up an idea that had been bouncing around for another preemie/newborn hat. The stitch pattern reminded me of various tracks I saw in the sand of the beaches on South Padre Island. So, I named the hat Tracks. The model was knit with Caron Simply Soft light coral using US 6 needles. My photography model is stuffing the hat with a plastic bag and setting it on a drinking glass. LOL At least you can see the stitch.


Tracks Baby Hat
Yarn: Sport weight baby yarn or lightweight worstedNeedles: US 4-6 double points Whatever feels right for the yarn-not too stiff a fabric
Size: 1-3 lbs (3-5 lbs, 6-8 lbs)
Stitch pattern from “The Big Book of Knitting Stitch Patterns”
Mock Braids adapted for knitting in the round
Rows 1 and 3: slip 1, K 1, yarn-over, pass the slip st over both K st and yarn-over; repeat from * to * to end of round
Rows 2, 4, 5 and 6: Knit
Repeat rows 1 – 6 for pattern

Cast on 48 (56, 64) stitchesDivide stitches on three needles. Join in the round, being careful not to twist. Place marker.

K 1, P 1 ribbing for .75" to 1"
Knit 1 to 3 rounds
Knit pattern until it measures 3 1/2" (4", 4 1/2") from the cast on edge.

Knit 2 together for one round.
Knit around.
Knit 2 together for one round.
Knit around.
Knit 2 together for one round.
Knit.

Cut yarn 6" long and pull through remaining stitches. Pull tail to the inside and weave in all ends.
Copyright – Patricia J Reece January 8, 2009
You are welcome to use this pattern to knit hats for personal use, gifting or for sale. Please do not sell the pattern.

1 comment:

Aunt Kathy said...

I love the hat and waht a great way to model, I'd never have thought of that